Munstead Wood is the house and garden built by Gertrude Jekyll as her home It is a place of national and local interest situated within the parish of Busbridge.
Jekyll acquired a semi woodland site of 15 acres in Heath Lane in 1883 and here she created Munstead Wood.
Still living with her Mother opposite in Munstead House, she started work on the garden, leaving a space for the house to be built later.
The House was designed by Edwin Lutyens and completed in 1896 using local "Bargate" stone and weathered roof tiles all sourced no more than 15 miles from the house. Both the house and the garden are grade 1 listed.
It was during the construction of the house and garden that Gertrude Jekyll met Edwin Lutyens. During this time they roamed the Surrey countryside studying the traditional local architecture and this formed the basis of their many future collaborations.
Gertrude lived at Munstead Wood all her life working on her articles, books and garden designs till her death in 1932.
In 1948 the property was split into five separate lots, the largest part consisting of 10 acres including the house being the Munstead Wood you see today.