Milford hospital, on the western tip of the parish, was built in 1928 as the "County Sanatorium", a TB and Smallpox isolation hospital.
Some years later it changed its name to the "Surrey Smallpox Hospital" and then again in 1948 to the "Milford Sanatorium" . During this period, it was home to two of its most illustrious patients, Ray Galton and Alan Simpson, the writers of many Tony Hancock shows and the sitcom Steptoe and Son.
As TB ceased to be prevalent the hospital "morphed" into Milford Chest Hospital (1972) and after the Royal Surrey County hospital took over this role in the early 1980's, the hospital was adapted to provide long term care of the elderly.
Like many small and cottage hospitals all over the country, Milford hospital then suffered twenty five years of slow decline which culminated with a consultation document published by the local PCT, "Modernising Local Healthcare". All the options in this consultation involved the closure of the hospital.
Mainly due to the efforts of Margaret Jago and her Milford Hospital Campaign group, the final decision in 2009 was however to refurbish the hospital as a specialist centre for rehabilitation.
Since then, with day to day help and much fundraising from the League of friends, , it has built a reputation as a centre of excellence for stroke, ortho-rehab and the care of the frail elderly.
The spider's web of derelict single storey TB wards that had surrounded the hospital since the last century was finally demolished in 2014 and the land has now become Leithfield Park, the parish's newest housing development.