Leonard Cheshire Home
The first buildings to be erected on the site in Clock Barn Lane in 1939 were wooden huts financed by the Canadian army and used as accommodation for evacuees.
After the war the Billmeier foundation gave the land to Leonard Cheshire who, with Sue Ryder, established the Ryder/Cheshire Mission for the relief of suffering. It later became a home for disabled people who were considered too old for other Cheshire Homes.
Around 1972 a decision was made to build a purpose built home for all ages and disabilities not specifically for ex servicemen. This project was achieved with emormous help from the More-Molyneux family and their company Guildway.
The home now provides care for around 46 residents with severe neuro disabilities. The home is state funded but always in need of voluntary contributions to purchase up to date equipment and to allow the residents to enjoy trips and events outside the home.